Monday, October 18, 2010

Homeschool Tip: Relax - You Made the Right Decision

When you are just beginning to homeschool you are probably going to be a little nervous. You might know why you have made the decision, but then doubt creeps in, and you start to second guess yourself. Well, I am here to tell you to relax because you have made the right decision!

Listen while I explain to you about the three "nobodies" and your child. First, nobody cares about your child as much as you. Second, nobody knows as much about your child as you. Finally, nobody will give your child as much attention as you. As a parent, you want what is best for your child. No matter how good your school district is, they have to tailor their programs for the majority of the children. With somewhere between twenty and forty students in a class, that does not leave a teacher much time to focus on your child, regardless of how good that teacher may be. Are you beginning to feel somewhat less anxious?

Here is some more good news.You are in control. You get to pick the curriculum, which means you can decide whether or not to keep subjects like music and art which are being dropped for financial reasons in many public schools. Keeping your family values intact will not be a problem either. Isn't it nice to know that you can include lessons in morality? A teacher in the public school system could lose their job for doing that! If your child has a special interest in a particular subject, you can grant him extra time to explore it further. You are not locked into a specific time frame. Is this sounding better all the time? Wait, there's more.

There is also the "fun factor" for both you and your child. Do you remember the joy you felt the first time he rolled over as a baby, his first word, or when he took his first step? I promise you will feel that same kind of joy when he learns to read. You will be thrilled when he learns to express his thoughts and ideas on paper. You are also going to be happy with yourself knowing that you are the one that helped him get to that point. I did say the fun factor for you and your child. I have never met anyone who was not happy about learning something new, and I never met a child who did not enjoy spending extra time with a loving parent. In my own case, I had a career that kept me extremely busy. One day I woke up and realized that my children were growing too fast, and I was missing out on it. I chose to tender my resignation to be able to help with their schooling and spend more time with them. What a tremendous decision that turned out to be! Today we have a very close relationship, and neither of my kids is afraid to come to me with a problem. Mind you, we taught them to think for themselves, and they do not always take my advice, but they like that I give them different ideas about courses of action for them to take. I think that you will find a similar closeness with your child. What could be more fun than that?

As I said before, you have made the right decision. This is your child, and you want only the best for him. So relax, have some fun, enjoy your time together, and be prepared for the time of your life. Who knows, you might even find that your child isn't the only one getting an education.

No comments:

Post a Comment